February 13, 2008

It's a weird world out there.

Today started a little strangely.

In my ongoing effort to shield a certain husband of mine from my SportsCenter addiction and statistical / win-loss observation / bracket preparation, I watch ESPN in the mornings at the gym. I don't mind that it repeats, but I do mind when someone "accidentally" changes it from Sports Center to plain ol' ESPN News. BO-RING. Anyway, this morning ESPN was covering the much ballyhooed appearance of Roger Clemens before members of the House committee on steroids in baseball this morning. Somehow, the whiz collection at ESPN managed to create a montage using highlights of Clemens' lawyer talking, George Mitchell delivering the report, any and all follow-up news coverage, and Brian McNamee's lawyer talking. I'd never seen a lawyer highlight before, but there's a first time for everything.

Here's something that's not at all weird - today my Grandma (we call her Gommy) turns 90. I asked her today if she was excited to be getting past 89. Her answer: "Man Alive!" In May she had a stroke - or a series of strokes - and was on the mend for most of the summer. Now, though, she seems mostly recovered and is in good spirits and relatively good health. What a blessing!

We moved in with Gommy in 1984. I know my brother, sister, and I have benefitted from her wisdom, her sharing life lessons regarding not drinking any water if you've been bombed on champagne, and her immesurable contribution to our lives, our projects, and our day-to-day well- being (including and especially the introduction of Apple Jacks to my diet circa 1987). I told her as much today, and I'm grateful that despite the strokes and other health challenges she's faced in the last year, she's seen it through to this day. I wished her as many more as she can handle.

1 comment:

Susan said...

You are so blessed to have a "Gommy" ! I miss having the older members of my family around. Only my dad is still on this side of heaven. My grandma K was my favorite: she taught me how to sew and knit, how to bake bread, how to look life straight in the eye when its threatening to get you down, and how to make a great Irish Coffee.