January 18, 2008

The tale's in the telling.

The NYT has a special section devoted to the presently-absent Awards Season. Here, you can find Manolha Dargis raving - again - about David Fincher's Zodiac. There's also a little article in the side bar about editing, which I happen to think is pretty interesting and important. Here's the link to the article.

One fascinating thing about the film theory class I took last year was that it demanded I look beyond the content of a story to see how it was being told. I was given the tools to give attention to things like shot composition (tools which bubble to the surface during all episodes of Heroes, when such poorly composited shots are thrown in to save the sinking story) and editing. But I don't think training in film language is necessary to watch well, though. It just gives a little more vocabulary for what we're seeing in action.

Anyway, read about the editors ... and that intrepid fellow who edited The Bourne Supremacy. Cue vomiting!

I liked The Bourne Supremacy, but it made me sick to watch it. And a little worked up.

No comments: