September 27, 2007

Story ... Straining

Behold the appearance of Beardy MacJugface!

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, Heroes manages to get worse. The insistence on adding more characters is really a bad move, because in trying to keep up with them all we learn absolutely nothing in terms of plot advancement. Either they get rid of half the characters or they fire the writers who can't hold the story together. Also, what was up with that totally belabored (and belaboring of the nothing that followed) sequence of shots around the Bennett/Butler dinner table? What the heck was the point of that? Oh man.

I've said it before, but one of the reasons LOST is so much more conceptually successful is that they pick a character and tell that story for the ep. I'm with the slow-moving, no-end-in-sight problems that plague LOST, but they're nowhere near as bad as the monster that is Heroes.

I will keep watching, I will continue holding my poor spouse hostage for 40 minutes once each week to determine where the train wreck will go next ... and hopefully I'll have the dander to keep blogging about it. Because if blogs are useful for anything, they're tailor-made for groundless rants about television shows.

No comments: