January 11, 2007

So we're doing THAT again...

Holy smokes. Last night I had the opportunity to be the guest host on KUVO's Jazz Odyssey. Here's my playlist. It was really a good time, and my thanks to Teke O'Reilly for making it happen. I played 21 songs -- AV and I were talking on the way home about how many more possible combinations there could be in the crates of music we have upstairs. Funny how that works.

When I was in high school, I sent in a playlist for 96.5 the Peak's Amateur Hour. They let me on the radio, and there was a tape made of that hour, which we found a couple years ago while we were moving. Then, when I was getting ready to go to college, I was just desperate to be a DJ on KRCX, Regis's then-AM radio station. My friend Jon Davis and I hosted the "happy happy hour," which went from 4-6 on Thursdays. So I'm no stranger to the radio, but there were a lot of people listening last night. The Curmudgeon even tuned in from his remote location. Anyway, it was a lot of fun and I even got a call about my playing Peter Brotzmann (which was ALL AV), so I guess I made a fan? Also, talking on the radio is a lot like teaching a class, but you just can't see the students.

KUVO is an important cultural component of our community, and they do their part to support creative music -- the JO is just one example of this. I'm sure glad we live in the vicinity of such a stellar station.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Wow! How fun! I wish I'd been able to tune in. Will you be doing it again?

Becky Vartabedian said...

I think so. I'll be sure to let you know if/when it happens again.