December 17, 2006

On Gifts, Giving, Getting

In an earlier post, I mentioned my general bah-humbug malaise that manages to take over this time of year. I don't subscribe to the "War on Christmas" mania, nor do I subscribe to the rejection of the holiday season on the grounds that materialism is contrary to the "Reason for the Season." Unfortunately, I like stuff just as much as the next person, so I'm kind of an inappropriate spokesperson for any anti-materialism movement. Incidentally, Mariam Kamell has a great post about gifts and giving over at GreekGeek.

When I was a kid, my dad worked in retail and so the holiday season was so hectic that he often worked long days, late hours, and even had to work in the store on Christmas. While the Christmas togetherness was always fun (while it lasted) the whole time leading up to the holiday was something different in our house. This "difference" (which I can't quite explain) has stuck with me as I've grown older. The shopping, the hustle and bustle, the atmosphere--I find all of these things tiring. People are more impatient, more careless, and display more outward selfishness than usual. Case in Point: the mom yesterday who couldn't be bothered to get off her cell phone and look for her daughter in the youthful clothing boutique, so instead stood at the door of the boutique, told her phone to hang on, and yelled into the store for her daughter. Nice.

Since my brother and sister are older now, the very best thing about the holidays is all of us getting to spend time together. Being in the same room for a prolonged period of time is the thing that I look forward to. I am also looking forward to the annual making of Myra Cookies. This is a family-intensive affair, and for the first time in five years my brother will actually have to help us MAKE the cookies, instead of EATING them all. It's hokey, but this time together is better than any gift I could get.

Splitting time with two families is always a delicate matter, but I'm grateful for the time we're able to spend with AV's family in New York. My parents-in-law celebrate their anniversary on December 28, and for the last few years we (along with AV's brother and his wife) have all been able to celebrate the occasion together. We'll spend New Year's Eve--really, and since I was a kid, my favorite holiday--there in New York with everyone, plus old family friends with whom we are required to go march around the yard on New Year's Day...Vartabedian family custom.

Blogs around the 'sphere are rife with Christmas and Holiday traditions. Thought I'd throw my two cents in.

No comments: